Saturday 3 March 2012

An ''Egg''stra Special Fortune.

Have I mentioned my new found love for Pinterest? I can't remember . If I haven't .. consider that an official statement. Because , Oh Baby! It was love at first click.
I was surfing through the ''Do It Yourself'' section to find inspiration, as I do on a day to day basis. When I came across this beauty! . An egg fortune ''cookie''.

I decided that this would be a perfect craft to master for Valentine's Day. ( I know , I know .. it took me a while to post this entry ).So I set out to make one for the 5 most important people in my life.

Step 1 : Wash your eggs. Obviously the first step is to wash the eggs. Considering you'll need to use your mouth in Step 3.
Step 2 : Using a sharp object tap a hole in the top and bottom of the egg. I used a standard nail. Anything small and sharp will do. If you use a small object and want a bigger hole , you can easily move the object around gently to widen the hole. Be careful ! The egg shell is extremely fragile. It would also be wise to have a few spare shells on hand. Trust me you might need a few before you get it down pat.
Step 3:  Hold your egg over a bowl and blow air into the egg through the hole of your choice. You will empty the egg into the bowl. Run your egg under water , while making sure water cleans out the inside via the holes you just made.  Otherwise your egg will begin to smell funky after a few hours.

Now that the technical stuff is over , it's time for the fun stuff!

Step 4: Paint & Personalise.
I decided to go with the '' Sweet & Simple ''  idea this time.. after all it was the first attempt and I wasn't sure how well it would all turn out.  I ended up needing almost three coats of base colour (blue) to cover the egg properly. That might be because my paint wasn't the best quality available.. who knows!

I monogrammed the eggs with the first letters of their name. To make it seem more personal to them, but also to help me. I was using different messages for each person and didn't want them to get mixed up. A few polka dots here and there was just to add some colour and spunk. 
Step 5: Let it dry. This is the hardest part. With the 3 bases coats and
decoration layers - it took overnight to dry completely.
  
Step 6: Time for the message.  Obviously you can write anything you want on a piece of paper. Once you think up your cute and loving message simply roll it up and slip it into the previously made holes.

Six easy steps  that anyone can do.  Before you know it you'll have an amazing, personalised gift for your loved ones for hardly any money. What more could you ask for?

The best part of giving this gift is that the person you give this to , gets to crack the egg open to get their message. It's almost like an adult version of a Kinder Surprise. The only thing that could make it better is if we could somehow get chocolate into the egg like they do. :)
It was a big hit at my house!
Until next time , Stay Crafty!





No comments:

Post a Comment